Mentor Requirements and Outline
- Telluride regional resident or has a tangential relationship to the region
- Available to meet in person for mentor meetings and events
- Has a strong interest to help build and diversity the local community
- Puts the needs of the mentee first
- Must be comfortable with keeping self and mentees accountable
- Mentor teams consist of 3-5 mentors
- Mentor meetings are 90 minutes
- Mentors should plan to commit to 1-2 mentoring sessions per month and attend a monthly mentor meeting
- Mentors can mentor up to five ventures
Goal of TVN Mentorship Program
TVN’s mission: diversify the regional economy by fostering a robust entrepreneurial
ecosystem that supports entrepreneurs through acceleration bootcamps, mentorship, and
What can I expect?
TVN Mentor Manifesto
- Be Socratic
- Expect nothing in return (you’ll be delighted with what you do get back).
- Be authentic / practice what you preach
- Be direct. Tell the truth, however hard.
- Listen too.
- The best mentor relationships eventually become two-way.
- Be responsive.
- Adopt at least one company every single year. Experience counts.
- Clearly separate opinion from fact.
- Hold information in confidence.
- Clearly commit to mentor or do not. Either is fine.
- Know what you don’t know. Say I don’t know when you don’t know. “I don’t know”is preferable to bravado.
- Guide, don’t control. Teams must make their own decisions. Guide but never tellthem what to do. Understand that it’s their company, not yours.
- Accept and communicate with other mentors that get involved.
- Be optimistic.
- Provide specific actionable advice, don’t be vague.
- Be challenging/robust but never destructive.
- Have empathy. Remember that startups are hard.